Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Why I Shouldn't Pass Fine Arts

One of my classes in first term of university was called "Fine Arts." The topic we were "studying" was "Death and Destruction." Sounds fun enough, right? Right. It was a good class, that I officially finished today (with the most bizarre final I've ever written, but more on that in a later post). We mostly just sat around and watched movies, though, and the tests didn't even seem to have anything to do with death or destruction -- they were testing our memory on the movies we watched (and the two Shakespeare plays we read).

That's all fine and dandy. Oh, and to pass the course, you had to attend four Fine Arts events outside of class time. That included plays, dances, musical numbers, etc., as long as the teacher went to see them as well at some point (there was a list we were given for "approved" events). Still, no big deal.

Enter me, who doesn't go to plays and is very, very lazy. Of course, I put off going to any of the events until my selection was severely limited. Now, it said in our course outline that 3 events had to be "theater" events, while the fourth could be "other," which is where that Left 4 Dead thing came into play. So I went to the Left 4 Dead thing, I went to a dance thing, and I went to two plays. I figured I was all set, especially considering those were the only options I had left. If I couldn't have attended one of those 4 events, I wouldn't have had 4 and I would have failed. Yikes!

However, last Saturday, I got an email. In the email, it said that 3 of the events had to be dramas, not "theater" events. I suppose that "theater" could just mean plays, but since I put it off for so long, I was in trouble. There weren't any other plays playing that were "approved." I was in deep trouble, and I knew it. I ended up handing in my four events anyway, hoping that the dance thing I saw would count.

It did, thank goodness.

Technically, I shouldn't have passed the class, as I didn't meet the course outline. Or technically, I did, but I didn't really, if you get what I'm saying. If I would have failed, I would have appealed based on working of the outline and might have succeeded. But that was avoided as I checked my marks and I had a check mark beside all of my events. I was so, so happy. Failing such an easy class would have been devastating.

Ciao,
Marter

1 comment:

  1. Man, I can't even imagine the feeling of failing a class. I've never done it although I quit Physics 30 in Highschool to prevent it from happening.

    Glad you technically got the passing grade. Work ethic! XP

    ReplyDelete