Thursday, January 10, 2013

People's Choice Awards 2013

Right. I have a blog. I kinda forgot that I did. That's fine. Here are the people and movies that I think should have won this year's People's Choice Awards.



Favorite Movie: The Avengers, although The Hunger Games is a fine choice.
Favorite Action Movie: The Avengers. I disagree with The Hunger Games here because its action was the worst part about it. Ergo, it shouldn't be called the best action movie of the year.
Favorite Comedy Movie: Pitch Perfect. Must have been a week year for comedy if What to Expect When You're Expecting got a nomination (no Cabin in the Woods?), but Pitch Perfect was by far the funniest movie of the year for me. So it gets it. 21 Jump Street was better than Ted, too, I think. I never saw Dark Shadows or What to Expect When You're Expecting (though I'll see the latter in a few weeks' time).
Favorite Drama Movie: Argo. Easily. Although it was more of a thriller, it's far and away better than at least two of these (The Lucky One and The Vow) and I never saw Perks of Being a Wallflower, so I can't pick it. Magic Mike was quite good, too.
Favorite Movie Franchise: The Dark Knight. The Avengers had some weak links (Thor and The Incredible Hulk), The Hunger Games isn't yet a "movie franchise," and Spider-Man no longer counts because it was just rebooted. So, it's between The Dark Knight and Madagascar. Tough choice.
Favorite Movie Actor: Robert Downey, Jr. Sure. I'll agree on this one. If only because it's "favorite" and not "best."
Favorite Movie Actress: Jennifer Lawrence. Gave two great performances this year, which means she has at least one more than everyone else on the list.
Favorite Dramatic Actor: Bradley Cooper. Call me a Silver Linings fanboy, but he did a great job in that, and from all accounts was good in The Words and Hit and Run, too.
Favorite Dramatic Actress: Keira Knightley. She kinda wins this one by default, because I didn't see Streep's or Watson's film, or anything Theron was in, and McAdam's film was awful. At least I could tolerate Anna Karenina.
Favorite Action Movie Star: Robert Downey, Jr. If Iron Man wasn't in The Avengers, it wouldn't have been nearly as good a movie as it turned out to be. Can't really say that about anyone else (except Batman, but as an "action star," Batman kind of sucks).
Favorite Movie Superhero: Christian Bale as Batman, Dark Knight Rises. Despite not being the best action star, as a superhero, I've always loved Batman. I like Bale's performance as him, too, raspy voice and all.
Favorite Comedic Movie Actor: Adam Sandler. I agree. That's My Boy was really funny to me. I realize I'm in the minority here. I don't care. It's the first Sandler-led film I've liked since Click.
Favorite Comedic Movie Actress: Mila Kunis. So, Anna Kendrick gets two films in the best comedy category, one of which she led, and doesn't get a nomination? Fine. Uh ... I like Kunis more than the others, and she was fine in Ted. So that's that.
Favorite On-Screen Chemistry: Can I abstain from this one? None of these were very good.
Favorite Movie Icon: Maggie Smith. She doesn't get enough credit. And I've heard really good things about Quartet. So there.
Favorite Face of Heroism: Jennifer Lawrence. Her face was the entire poster for The Hunger Games. And she was also one of only two leads, the other of which being Kristen Stewart, whose face does not get to be the symbol for anything. It can't move enough.

And we're done. I don't watch enough television to make a choice for those awards. Movies are my specialty anyway, right? I like to think so. I might use this blog for the next awards shows, or perhaps just if I feel the need to vent. I keep forgetting I have one, so it doesn't get used. Anyway, these are my picks and reasons for them.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment